Langton Families: Can DNA, combined with circumstantial evidence form a bridge between Kilkenny and Cadiz? by Dr Rory O’Shea Admission for members of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society is € 7, for non-members € 10.
Table quiz at Bollard’s of Kieran Street in aid of the Rothe House Trust. Tables up to four players; historic, general knowledge and fun questions. Admission fee does apply.
Paddy Neary The writers Michael and John Banim were born in Kilkenny city, Michael was born on the 5th August 1796, while John was born on the 1st April 1798. During their lifetimes the brothers collaborated in many published works (twenty-four in total), mainly about life in Kilkenny and its characters under the Collective title “Tales by […]
Paddy Neary Thomas Bibby was born on the 24th October 1877, in Bagenalstown Co. Carlow. His family were proprietors of a woollen mill at Greensbridge, and operated two drapery businesses in Kilkenny City. One in Parliament street opposite the Watergate Theatre, the second in High Street nowadays the Enable Ireland shop located at the lane […]
John Cullen Lord of the Lough John Cullen was one of the characters who lived in the Walkin Street area, and was said to have been fairly well educated. His parents were of a comfortable position in life. In a drunken fit he enlisted in the local regiment of the Army, and some years later […]
Nicholas Maher Few Kilkenny people have left such an extraordinary and distinguished impact on Kilkenny society as did Dr Robert Cane in the first half of the 19th century. We do not have any roads or bridges named after this remarkable man who in a relatively short life of 52 years was highly influential as […]
Eamonn Kiely It is likely that George Berkeley is the best known Kilkennyman ever. None other that I am aware of, has had a city called after him. Accepted among the top ten philosophers ever he was born at Dysart Castle near Thomastown. At ten years of age in 1695 he is in Kilkenny College, […]
A Christmas custom of old Kilkenny Edward J Law (2013) The Kilkenny historian John Prim noted the continuation of the practice of calling the Christmas waits in 1853, but the custom appears to have ceased shortly after that. It ended with the death in December 1856 of John Burke, who had been an umbrella maker […]
The Graveyard Enquiry Patrick Neary The Kilkenny Journal edition of Dec 7th 1907 reported on a sworn inquiry ordered by the Local Government Board and held in the Council Chambers by the Surgeon Colonel Edgar Flinn to inquire into the condition of the City Graveyards within the Borough of Kilkenny. The Inspector stated that all […]