The Capuchin Friars in Friary Street

Paddy Neary The first recorded reference to the Friars in Kilkenny is 1643, when they were granted accomodation in St John’s Abbey by the Corporation. In 1678 they had a chapel and convent in St John’s Abbey, the community consisted of three. In 1682 Fr. James Tobin procured a plot of “waste ground on the […]

The Banim Brothers and Windgap Cottage

Paddy Neary The writers Michael and John Banim were born in Kilkenny city, Michael was born on the 5th August 1796, while John was born on the 1st April 1798. During their lifetimes the brothers collaborated in many published works (twenty-four in total), mainly about life in Kilkenny and its characters under the Collective title “Tales by […]