Bishop Richard Pococke

Written and read by Paddy Neary (2018) Saint Canice’s Cathedral Dr. Richard Pococke, an Englishman, an Oriental scholar, and a traveller of immense energy, became Bishop of Ossory in 1756. Nine years later he transferred to Meath where he died after a very brief illness. In his time in Ossory he did work of great […]

Lady Desart’s Legacy 1

Lady Desart and her Legacy to Kilkenny – Part 1 Paddy Neary After William, the 4th Earl of Desart died in 1898 his widow Lady Ellen remained in residence at Desart Court, so Captain Otway Cuffe came to live at Sheestown House. He was not long in establishing links with the local people, farmers and townsfolk. […]

An Old Kilkenny Industry – The Merino Woollen Mill

AN OLD KILKENNY INDUSTRY – The Merino Woollen Factory Patrick Neary The Merino Woollen Factory was established by two Kilkenny men Timothy Nowlan and Thomas Shaw in 1810. The site they chose was Ennisnag close to Stonyford and beside the King’s River. This Thomas Shaw had already served an apprenticeship in Dublin and spent seven […]

error: Sorry, this content is protected. Please rephrase to use it for your own work.